File Search and Properties Object
The File Search and Properties Object (FileSystemEx) is an
enhancement to Microsoft Office's FileSearch object. It allows
you to recursively search for a file on the hard drive and retrieve additional
information (like Attributes, Size, Time Last Accessed, Time Created etc.) for
specific files, or for all the files returned by the search.
Additionally, for dlls and ocxs, the object can retrieve the entries in the
file's export table, making it available to you via the ExportItems
INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT AND THE FILESYSTEMEX OBJECT IS
PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED. THE USER ASSUMES THE ENTIRE RISK OF RUNNING THIS SOFTWARE.
Ó Dev Ashish and Terry Kreft (1998-1999), All
Please make sure you read the code
- Build folder: Contains the actual COM dll which you need to
register on your system using RegSvr32 and redistribute as needed.
- Release folder: Contains a copy of the dll which is used to
maintain Binary Compatibility for future builds. Do not use/modify
anything in this folder.
- Src folder: Contains VB6 Source code for the dll.
- Test folder: Contains a VB6 test application (with source) and an
Access 97 database to demonstrate the functionality of the object.
- If you decide to create a sink for the object in an Access 97 class
(including code classes behind forms) by using the WithEvents
keyword, the event stub for the Found event may contain an extra
underscore before the reference to the File object. For example
Private Sub mclsFO_Found(ByVal FileInfo As FileSystemEx._File)
To correct this problem, wrap the File reference with square
Private Sub mclsFO_Found(ByVal FileInfo As FileSystemEx.[_File])
- A search can only be cancelled if you create a sink for the object by
using the WithEvents keyword. Then the SearchStatus can be
used to pass True for the Cancel argument to cancel the search.
- Folder and Folders collection is included in the
project for future enhancements.